Re: Easy way to create a binary-only .DEB??

On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 09:21:11AM -0500, Craig wrote:

>   Here's what i'm trying to do:
>
> * Create a .DEB that contains only 2 simple binaries, plus a couple of
> dependencies.  (i'll have another package, tar ball for right now, for the
> source code).

Is this for your personal use, or is it meant to be distributed to others?

> Can that be done?  You don't *REQUIRE* the source code to be in the .deb, do
> you?  Or is that how it works?

If the .deb is going to be distributed, it is almost useless without a
corresponding source package.  People would not be able to use your package
on other architectures, rebuild it with a different configuration or link
with different libraries, to give a few examples.

> Is there a web page anyone can point me to which describes a binary-only
> .deb creation, or any suggestions/hints/help people can offer?

dpkg-deb(1) is the tool used to create binary .debs.  For convenience,
dpkg(1) will run dpkg-deb(1) if it looks like that is what you wanted.

--
 - mdz