Already present debian directory in upstream sources

Hi Debian mentors,

I'm packaging a piece of software that already has a debian/
subdirectory inside upstream sources.  As it is a low quality package
(a nearly unmodified dh_make generated package), I've rewritten it
completely and have removed any occurrence of template .ex files as
well as README.Debian (I don't need it and this one was the dh_make
template).

But the problem is that dpkg-source ignores files removal under
debian/ subdirectory, which led to a source package that contain these
files.  Is there a clean way to force dpkg-source to notice this
removal or do I have to use overrides or to manually "rewrite"
README.Debian in order to make lintian feel happy ?

Thanks in advance for every answer.

Cheers,
Benjamin

--