Re: Purging a replaced program

"Jaldhar H. Vyas" <jaldhar@debian.org> writes:

> I'm having a problem with something I thought was wery simple.
>
> I have two packages, webmin and webmin-ssl which are interchangeable
> (except as you've probably guessed one has SSL support, the other
> doesn't).  They both install certain conffiles such as
> /etc/webmin/miniserv.conf and /etc/init.d/webmin.  In their
> control files, they provide, conflict and replace each other.

Hmm, if both packages contain exactly the same files (only some in different
flavours) you could remove the conflict. A package that replaces *all*
files of another one will make the old package "disappear", and
(according to policy at least) that should do the right thing for
conffiles, too.

The second alternative is to somehow fix this case in the package
scripts. Not too pretty workaround, but doable since you control both
packages.

Third, and probably cleanest, is the option to simply stop shipping
different config files (they are different, are they?) under the same
name. /etc/webmin-ssl/* and /etc/init.d/webmin-ssl should work fine.

--
Robbe