Re: Open Motif

On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 12:10:55PM +0100, Stefan Schwandter wrote:
> My problem is: snd doesn't work well with lesstif according to the
> upstream maintainer, the gtk-gui isn't as mature as the motif-gui, so I
> have to use open motif (libmotif). The policy states that such a package
> must go to contrib instead of main, because libmotif is in non-free.
>
> But I don't understand why I also have to make both a statically and a
> dynamically linked version of the package, as reqested by 12.8.
>
> I also don't understand why a statically linked version is necessary at
> all, since libmotif is in the debian distribution.

It seems to me that this requirement is a relic of the times before
OpenMotif was packaged. At that point it was sensible to require
statically linked versions of Motif applications so that Debian users
could use them without having to get hold of a version of Motif
themselves.

While it still makes sense for OSF/Motif, I think this requirement is
obsolete for OpenMotif. Can anyone in the policy group comment on this?