Re: Specifying version and revision of a package

Jeremy Higgs <jhiggs@iprsystems.com> writes:

> In that case, in the Makefile, before I create the package, would I be
> able to just do 'dch -v $(VERSION)$(BRANCH)-$(DATE)' (where the
> variables are already defined in the Makefile) to bump up the
> revision...

Yes you could do that. Although putting it into an official target
("build", "binary", etc.) would be evil, I don't think anything
prevents you from putting it under, say, an "update" target.

> However, the only problem I forsee is that the chosen
> editor will appear and prompt the user to document the changes made...
> is there a way I can bypass that?

Yup. See the dch manpage.

> I also can't seem to be able to find the 'dch' command... I have su'd
> to root, and it's not in the path, either... Has it been removed or
> replaced?

Do you have the devscripts package installed?

--
Robbe