trouble with HTML changelogs and SGML catalogs

I'm currently in the process of making a package for the XML Resume
Library:

<URL:http://xmlresume.sourceforge.net>

My current package is at:

<URL:http://monk.verbum.org/~walters/debian/experimental>

I have two problems with it.  First, lintian complains:

E: xml-resume-library: changelog-file-not-compressed changelog 13585

The upstream documentation comes as HTML, including the changelog.  Policy
section 13.8 states that the changelog file must be compressed.
However, the changelog is hyperlinked from other parts of the
documentation; renaming it to changelog.html.gz would break those
links.  What should I do?

Secondly (this question is more for SGML gurus), there is no catalog
file in the upstream XML Resume Library; what should I do about this?
I'm not too familiar with SGML (I'm still learning XML too).  Do I
need a catalog file?  As far as I can tell they're just a mapping from
the public identifiers to the location on the actual filesystem.  Is
creating one the upstream author's job?  Or should I create one and
include it in the package?