Re: RFC about copyrights and right package section for W3C docs.

On Sat, Sep 15, 2001 at 10:42:59AM +0200, Robert Bihlmeyer wrote:
> "Francesco P. Lovergine" <frankie@debian.org> writes:
> > My guess is that all docs can be part of `main' and can be
> > distributed on cd-rom with appropriate copyright notice.
>
> That package is in non-free. IIRC the issue is that you can't modify
> the standards. Which is somewhat understandable, but still relegates
> them to non-free.

Hm, but the Internet RFCs are in main and they don't allow unlimited
modification, either:

    This document and translations of it may be copied and furnished
    to others, and derivative works that comment on or otherwise
    explain it or assist in its implmentation may be prepared, copied,
    published and distributed, in whole or in part, without
    restriction of any kind, provided that the above copyright notice
    and this paragraph are included on all such copies and derivative
    works. However, this document itself may not be modified in any
    way, such as by removing the copyright notice or references to the
    Internet Society or other Internet organizations, except as needed
    for the purpose of developing Internet standards in which case the
    procedures for copyrights defined in the Internet Standards
    process must be followed, or as required to translate it into
    languages other than English.

So, should the RFCs go in non-free as well?

AIUI, the GNU Open Publication License also allows authors to restrict
the right of making modifications to parts of the documentation. Is
that non-free, too???

Cheers,

  Richard

--