Re: iprelay: sponsor sought

also sprach Colin Watson (on Wed, 05 Sep 2001 11:36:24AM -0500):
> Can you describe how this package differs from shaperd?
>
> Package: shaperd
>  Shaperd is a user-mode program that can shape traffic passing through
>  a Linux box. As it runs as a normal daemon, some kind of packet-forwarding
>  mechanism is needed. This can be done with the BSD divert sockets patch
>  for Linux 2.2, or with netfilter's built-in libipq under Linux 2.4.
>
> (There's shaper too, although that's kernel-space.)
>
> I don't mean to discourage you from packaging this; I'm just curious as
> to what it brings.

well, it doesn't need netfilter or anything. you basically say
something like

iprelay -b 2048 10873:ftp.us.debian.org:873

and now 0.0.0.0:10873 is a port through which you can access
ftp.us.debian.org:873 with at most 2 kbps going either way. it sports
daemon mode and multiple such "forwarders" per process.

every nonzero finite dimensional inner product space
has an orthonormal basis.