Re: iprelay: sponsor sought

On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 05:12:56PM +0200, Martin F Krafft wrote:
> I packaged iprelay from http://www.stewart.com.au/ip_relay/ and now I
> need a sponsor. Here is a short description of the program, from the
> webpage:
>
> ip_relay can shape the TCP traffic forwarded through it to a specified
> bandwidth and allow this specified bandwidth to be changed on-the-fly.
> Multiple data streams to different hosts/ports may be shaped to the
> same total bandwidth, much like a traffic shaping router would,
> however this application runs in user space, and works by acting as a
> TCP proxy.

Hi,

Can you describe how this package differs from shaperd?

Package: shaperd
 Shaperd is a user-mode program that can shape traffic passing through
 a Linux box. As it runs as a normal daemon, some kind of packet-forwarding
 mechanism is needed. This can be done with the BSD divert sockets patch
 for Linux 2.2, or with netfilter's built-in libipq under Linux 2.4.

(There's shaper too, although that's kernel-space.)

I don't mean to discourage you from packaging this; I'm just curious as
to what it brings.

Thanks,