Re: Help building packages.

On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 04:26:02PM +0100, William wrote:
> I am relatively new at attempting to build source/binary packages.  I've
> been looking for information online and this is what I have to go on.  Any
> pointers would be really helpful.
>
> The first thing that I did was to use dpkg-deb.  My first question is,
> what are control/changelog files and how would I create one?  Everytime I
> try to package something, it tries to locate 'debian/control' or
> 'debian/changelog'.  The only thing that seems to alleviate this is
> 'dpkg-deb -b --nocheck <dir>.'

Don't use dpkg-deb manually; it's a low-level tool. Use
dpkg-buildpackage instead.

> Right now, I've switched over to using 'dpkg-buildpackages', but the same
> error(s) still persists.

If you install dh-make, you can see examples in
/usr/share/debhelper/dh_make/debian.

> If there is anyone out there who wouldn't mind teaching me on a 1v1
> session, I'd be in your debt.  I learn better from a actual person
> than through docs.

If you like, go ahead and e-mail me privately with what you've got and I
can point out any mistakes. Don't be surprised if I point you to docs
from time to time, though. :)

Cheers,