Re: Help building packages.

William <bill@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org> writes:

> The first thing that I did was to use dpkg-deb.  My first question
> is, what are control/changelog files and how would I create one?
> Everytime I try to package something, it tries to locate
> 'debian/control' or 'debian/changelog'.  The only thing that seems
> to alleviate this is 'dpkg-deb -b --nocheck <dir>.'

You definitely need a control file and a changelog file.  If you don't
understand their purpose, read through the Policy manual.  You can
"apt-get install debian-policy", or browse it online at:

<URL:http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/>

There are a lot of tools for creating, building, and maintaining
Debian packages, and it is very confusing at first (at least it was
for me).  Just spend some time on it, study the policy carefully, look
at other packages (like hello), search the mailing list archives, and
then asking specific questions here would be a good idea.