libtool headaches

(Please cc: me on replies, I'm trying to subscribe but the mailing list seems
to be slow in sending confirm requests)

Hi,

I am working on a package of fam (available from
http://oss.sgi.com/projects/fam/), and I have some trouble wrt libtool.

They use a selfcontained version of libtool in the build process, to build a
shared library. The resulting library gets named libfam.so.0.0.0
This seemed rather odd to me, as the source distribution is already at 2.6.4
(it's an opensource release of an old SGI Irix tool), and I was correct in
being suspicious: in a rpm spec file distributed with the sources there were
commented out lines in the `%files' section that referenced a libfam.1.0 file
(but a comment also seemed to indicate failure of correct soname generation
on rpm systems).

I suspect this is probably just a problem with the way libtool gets called
(either incorrect or incomplete), but I'm not too good on reading
Makefile.in's and apparently (to make things even more complicated) the
libtool isn't even really distributed but gets generated from a file
`ltconfig' in the top source directory.

I'd really like some help to build the library with a correct major and minor
version number. It's not that I can't build it or it doesn't work right now,
but I fear severe breakage if one of the version numbers changes.

Regards,

Filip

--
If we knew what it was we were doing, we wouldn't call it research.
	-- Albert Einstein