Re: shlibs:Depends

Mike Markley <mike@markley.org> writes:

> All in all, "Depends: tclsh | tcl8.2" should generally work [...]

> Note that lintian complains about depending only on a virtual package, and
> while a quick glance doesn't find language in policy which forbids it, that
> is just a quick glance ;).

The "real package" alternative is for the sake of the package tools.
IOW, the above means: any tclsh will do, but if none is installed,
install tcl8.2.

For example, "apt install your_package" will automatically add tcl8.2
in this case. dselect will dump you in a screen listing all packages
providing tclsh, with tcl8.2. pre-selected as default.

(I couldn't find it in policy either, it's just "unwritten law".)

--
Robbe