Re: Advice needed on changing upstream source.

On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 02:46:30PM -0500, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:

> I have a problem.  The Webmin distribution consists of various modules.
> It has periodic numbered releases.  It also has unnumbered updates of
> individual modules between releases for bug fixes etc.  What do I do?
>
> 1.  Don't package the updates
>
> 2.  add updates to both the debianized source and orig.tar.gz.  reupload
>     the orig.tar.gz with -sa
>
> 3.  add updates to the debianized source but not the orig.tar.gz
>
> 4.  Treat each module as an individual upstream source and update each one
>     independently.
>
> 5.  Invent my own versioning scheme

How are the module updates distributed?  If they are in a single tarball, I
would create two source packages, webmin and webmin-modules, and give the
latter a date-oriented versioning scheme.  Better yet, get upstream to version
them.  Releases should have versions, especially in the case of
security-sensitive software.

If the modules are all distributed individually, you might want to merge them
into a single source package, but unless there are an excessive number of them,
I would avoid this, as it would keep users from verifying the checksums of the
.orig.tar.gz (assuming they are available).

--
 - mdz