Re: Virtual Packages

On Sun, Jan 28, 2001 at 01:56:14AM -0500, Jeremy T. Bouse wrote:
> 	However if I look at the debian-policy further it states a package
> should not use a virtual package name "except privately, amongst a
> cooperating group of packages"... This raises the flag if the choice of the
> virtual name used with multiple packages based on the same source falls
> under the first or second clause... Is this something which should then
> be thrown through the procedures list'd or can this naming be done without
> the extra leg-work?

This section of policy is confusing. My interpretation is that you
can really do what you want with regard to virtual package names;
only very generic things like mail-transport-agent and java-virtual-machine
need to be in the registered list. Since all of the packages involved
in your fwbuilder-* family are closely related, I don't think that applies.

So, go ahead and use fwbuilder-frontend etc.

Hamish