Re: Virtual Packages

	Let me take this discussion on another tangent that what the current
thread was aim'd at... I'm currently working on the fwbuilder package which
I've already found a sponsor... In talking with my sponsor we both agree
that using virtual names for the build is appropriate... Reading the
virtual-package-names-list.text in the debian-policy I would agree as well
as it states "New packages MUST use virtual package names where appropriate"
and this would seem appropriate...

	The fwbuilder package is a multi-binary with the GUI and several
backend policy compilers... As you really only need one policy compiler but
there are several available and more could be written I felt a backend
virtual name would be appropriate (ie- fwbuilder-backend)... Then it was
suggest'd that other frontends could be written so plan'd on using one
for the GUI as well (ie- fwbuilder-frontend)...

	However if I look at the debian-policy further it states a package
should not use a virtual package name "except privately, amongst a
cooperating group of packages"... This raises the flag if the choice of the
virtual name used with multiple packages based on the same source falls
under the first or second clause... Is this something which should then
be thrown through the procedures list'd or can this naming be done without
the extra leg-work?

	Respectfully,
	Jeremy T. Bouse

--