Re: dpkg-genchanges cannot open upload file

On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 05:16:49PM -0500, Bob Hilliard wrote:
>      debian/rules binary properly builds the source tree, and makes
> debian/dict-vera.deb and debian/vera.deb.  When I run either
> dpkg-buildpackage or debuild, it fails with the message:
>
> dpkg-genchanges: not including original source code in upload
> dpkg-genchanges: failure: cannot open upload file ../vera_1.6-2_all.deb for reading: No such file or directory
>
>      The two debs are built in debian/, and the parent of the build
> directory contains a .diff.gz, a .dsc that lists only the .orig.tar.gz
> and .diff.gz, and an empty .changes file.
>
>      I can't tell from the manpage which of the dpkg-* tools is
> responsible for moving the .debs up to the parent directory.

I don't remember any tool building the debs in the debian/ subdirectory.
If they do, I have never seen it leave them there. The .diff.gz,
.dsc, .orig.tar.gz, .deb, and .changes should all end up in the build
parent.

Perhaps you could run dpkg-buildpackage (or at least the
dh_builddeb or equivalent part) through strace?

Hamish