Re: abort-install in postrm

Brian Russo <brusso@phys.hawaii.edu> wrote:
>I'm calling user/groupdel in a package.postrm to remove a user/group used by
>the given package when it is purge/remove/abort-install 'd.
>
>e.g.
>purge|remove|abort-install)
>  userdel foo
>  groupdel bar
>  ;;
>
>It occurred to me that, I wasn't exactly sure what abort-install means, it
>doesn't seem to be covered in my copy of the packaging-manual (3.2.1.0), in
>section 6.

It's in section 6.3, point 3. When 'new-preinst install old-version'
fails, 'new-postrm abort-install old-version' is called; when
'new-preinst install' fails, 'new-postrm abort-install' is called. So if
your preinst's install step calls useradd, you should unwind that with
userdel in the postrm's abort-install step.