Re: dpkg-source -i on debian native packages

Adam Heath wrote:
> Never build a full release from the cvs work directory.  Always cvs export to
> another directory first.
>
> Doing test builds from the cvs work dir is fine.  But do final releases from a
> temp dir.  Sometimes, the cvs work dir is poluted, and having a fresh checkout
> is safer for repeatability.

It is pretty hard to cvs export when you are not on the net, or when you
are behind a dog-slow dialup connection and a cvs export would take an
hour.

Any "pollution" of a cvs working directory should be easily detectable,
and is no more likely than "pollution" of a directory that is not
managed by cvs. Just make sure that your build script deals with .#*
files at the same time it is dealing with *~ files and so on. The real
problem to watch out for if building in this way is that any source
files you add to the tree are included in the tarball, but may not yet
be in cvs, which could result in an inconsistent tagging of your build
tree.

I used to have my build scripts copy the working directory to a
temporary directory, remove all the cvs cruft from there, and build
there (poor man's cvs export..), but the big problem with building in a
temporary directory, no matter how it's generated is that this doesn't
let you fully test your debian/rules clean. I found that my packages
were accumulating many bugs in the clean rule and so I stopped building
in a temporary tree.

BTW, see bug #75947

--
see shy jo