Re: Looking for a sponsor/advocate

Alexei Kaminski <kaminski@tpi.umn.edu> writes:

[calcoo]
> I would like to have it included into Debian. Therefore, I am
> looking for a sponsor or an advocate who could assist me.

(Overloaded terminology alert) You should first decide whether you
want to become a Debian developer yourself, maintaining yours and
other programs. In this case you really need a "sponsor", i.e. a
person who does the upload, but delegates maintainer duties to you --
until you are a Debian developer and can upload yourself.

But you do not have to become a developer, of course. You can simply
seek out someone who maintains the package for you. The best way is by
sending a mail to <submit@bugs.debian.org> with subject "RFP: calcoo --
Scientific calculator (GTK+)" containing
  Package: wnpp
  Severity: wishlist
and more information on the software (don't forget the license!) and
where it is available.

With your software, where you already provide a Debian package
(assuming it largely conforms to policy), the difference may not seem
that great -- but by seeking a "sponsor" many developers may assume
that you're intending to become a developer, and that therefore the
sponsorship will last only a few months. Maintaining a package is
usually a more long-term commitment.

Sorry for the long lecture,

--
Robbe