Re: dpkg-gencontrol: warning: unknown substitution variable ${shlibs:Depends}

Mike Markley <mike@markley.org> writes:

> On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 12:20:40PM +0100, Jan-Hendrik Palic wrote:
> > But just .. I have a problem for packaging glibwww and glibwww-ssl.
> > glibwww is an addition for glib and can be compliled with libwww on the
> > one hand and with libwww-ssl and libssl on the other hand from one
> > source.
> >
> > So I will have four packages, glibwww1, glibwww-dev, glibwww-ssl1 and
> > glibwww-ssl-dev from one source.
> >
> > Can anyone give me an advise to realise that?
>
> Do the build-dependencies conflict? I don't see a libwww package so I can't
> look for myself.

libwww0 and libwww-ssl0 conflict; by transitivity their -dev package
do, too.

I don't see Jan-Hendrik's problem, though. Theoretically, libwww-ssl0
should be binary-compatible with libwww0 -- or else viewml,
libxmlrpc-c0, and tetex-bin are potentially broken.

If libwww-ssl0 is really a drop-in replacement, why not compile
against libwww-dev, and let the users decide whether they want -ssl?

--
Robbe