Re: to conffile or not to conffile

On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 08:30:28AM -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> No, there's nothing wrong with that, but please consider carefully if the
> dependency is worth it, as it will mean bringing a little-used language
> support into all systems that need your package.
>
> You just need a simple Depends:, as long as you only use Ruby in postinst
> and *rm.

Actually, I wouldn't rely on dependencies being satisfied except for
these combinations:
  postinst configure
  prerm upgrade
  prerm remove

There might be some others that are safe (prerm deconfigure?), but
I can't tell from the packaging manual what guarantees dpkg makes for
those.  It would be nice to have that documented, actually.

In any case, every maintainer script has situations where it's run
without the dependencies necessarily being satisfied, so don't use
a non-Essential interpreter for the script itself.  The Essential ones
are bash, perl, and probably awk.  (awk is not itself Essential but
base-files depends on it.)

--
Richard Braakman
Will write free software for money.