Re: to conffile or not to conffile

On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Matt Armstrong wrote:
> 1) Does Debian have any useful packaging utilities used for simple
>    programmatic editing of text files?  I'm not thinking sed/awk/perl

I think not. The code is there, but scattered over a thousand packages and
in different incarnations as every maintainer that needs it ends up
reinventing the weel.

>    Something like this implemented in Perl, Python, or Ruby might be a
>    useful maintainer tool.  The starting point could be cfengine's

As long as it is easy to interface from POSIX sh, I agree with you.

> 2) Is there anything wrong with a package's postinst script requiring
>    Ruby?  If not, how would I express the dependency?  Were I to

No, there's nothing wrong with that, but please consider carefully if the
dependency is worth it, as it will mean bringing a little-used language
support into all systems that need your package.

You just need a simple Depends:, as long as you only use Ruby in postinst
and *rm.

>    implement the above idea I'd want to do it in that language --
>    doing OO stuff in Perl makes me want to cry.

Well, you could do OO stuff in shell :-) See shoop

  Henrique Holschuh