Re: why evolution is not installable ?

christophe barbé <christophe.barbe@lineo.fr> writes:

> My current understanding is that package should be build against currently
> available pacakges. Is that incorrect ?

In general, yes. Of course there are exceptions, for example when some
app requires a specific minimum version. Dunno if that is the case
with evolution.

> I repeat the point here is not evolution. I have already see that with
> others packages.

This often happens with fast-evolving libraries (libgtkhtml is one of
them). They frequently get a new major version which requires a change
in the package name. This in turn will mean that the resulting package
is classified as new. New packages enter the archive with a few days
delay because it involves human intervention[1].

In almost all cases, you can get the missing package from
<URL:http://incoming.debian.org/>

Footnotes:
[1]  Perhaps this could be automated for the special case of libs,
though. Say the ftp-masters generate a template that matches all
libfoo[0-9]+ packages.

--
Robbe