Re: Needa sponsor/advocate

>  'eol' contains 4 programs that help you deal with cross-platform text
> files:
>    - tounix converts a text file into Unix format (eol=lf) from any format.
>    - tomac converts a text file into Macintosh format (eol=cr) from any
> format.
>    - todos converts a text file into DOS format (eol=crlf) from any format.
>    - towin converts a text file into DOS format (eol=crlf) from any format.

Do you know "recode"?
recode knows over 200 different character sets and file formats and can
easily be used for that. So insted of making separate programs, i'd
suggest using aliases like
alias dos2unix='recode dos/CR-LF..l1'
alias unix2dos='recode l1..dos/CR-LF'
alias unix2win='recode l1..windows-1250'

Recoding isn't trivial, and your claim "from any format" won't hold for
sure, as most codeset's cannot be distinguished at all.
Furthermore it looks like converting to Mac isn't completely done by
replacing the linefeeds with carriage returns.
Windows does use a different codepage as dos, afaik!
Even DOS doesn't always use the same Codepage.
It usually uses 437 OR 850 though.
So expect to get bugs over bugs for your package.

But i don't want to warp you from becoming a Debian Packager, i'm still
in the New Maintainer Process myself.
I'm doing Debian Packages for a Library i found in the 'net not
available for Debian yet - and learned a lot as it contains wrappers for
perl, python, php (and ruby and java, but i couldn't get these to work
yet...) - so my source package generates 7 binary packages, i needed to
split correctly.

Greetings,
Erich