Re: new packages: divx4linux and transcode

"NORMAND Jacques" <jacquot@mageos.com> writes:

> first of all, is there anyone planning the same work ???

Have a look at
<URL:http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=wnpp> ... (I
just checked, nothing there yet.) You should also file a bug against
this pseudo-package, so that others intending the same can see your
plans. See Developer's Reference 6.1. for the details.

> Since the soft is a library, I think I have to temper with ldconfig and
> ld.so. But where... Is the job done inside one of the dh_* scripts or do I
> need to handwrite a postinst script.

debhelper usually handles that for you. Try relying on it, and see if
the produced scripts look all right.

> Moreover the "debian packaging manual" states that lib should appear
> in there original name (in this case libdivxencore.so
> libdivxdecore.so) but some lines after, it speaks about symlinks to
> the lib, should I copy the lib under the name
> libdivx*.so.4.0.20010824 and symlink the orig name to that or should
> I install these under there original names.

Do I understand correctly that upstream installs these shared
libraries without any version information? If that's the case, you
should try to pursade them to fix that -- otherwise any incompatible
change in the interface will break all programs relying on the
library. Once upstream uses proper versioning, just use that.

Inventing your own versioning scheme is bad because this way
applications linked on Distribution X are probably incompatible with
Debian and vice versa.

> for transcode, the installation process use ./configure script. Hence
> dh_make tells me that I most certainly don't have to modify it. Can I trust
> it ???

Never trust computers! <g> Usually it is enough to check if the
install process did everything correctly. A wrong installation will
normally fail, anyway, because it wants to write to, say,
/usr/local/bin (you are building with fakeroot, not as root, are you?)

If you are worried that the installation will mess up your homedir,
you'd have to check the Makefile first, or build as another user (who
has no files to destroy).

--
Robbe