Re: Alpha question

Hi Amaya,

On Mon, 27 Aug 2001, Amaya wrote:

> I just got a bug on one of my packages, it doesn't build on alpha.
> As we don't have accessible alpha machines around, the submitter was kind
> enough to open an account for me in this machine and I managed to fix it
> adding an extra option to ./configure in the debian/rules file, so that it
> compiles against the supplied version of gettext instead of the system's
> version.

> Default behaviour is to compile against system's gettext, and it works in
> i386.

> Question is:
> How can I tell if I am in an alpha arch and how can I add the ./configure
> option if so?

> This is my first time and I guess I should know better, but I have no idea.

> Thanks for any input :-))

In debian/rules:

DEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE	:= $(shell dpkg-architecture -qDEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE)
DEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE	:= $(shell dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE)

ifeq ($(DEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE),alpha-linux)
	define_extra_configure_option
endif

Also recommended to pass --build=$(DEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE) and
--host=$(DEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE) options to the configure script, to avoid
accidentally enabling any non-standard optimizations.

However, I'm wondering why this program is incompatible only with the version
of gettext found on the alpha architecture.  They should be equivalent on all
archen. :/

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer