Re: /proc file system

On Sun, Aug 26, 2001 at 07:06:40PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Colin Watson wrote:
> > But then people can't use self-compiled kernels without using
> > kernel-package, and you also don't know whether an installed kernel
> > package is the running kernel. There's no good way to do this within the
> > Debian packaging framework, as far as I can work out.
>
> Well, this is pretty out there,

Way out with the cows :)

> but we could have an init script that
> probes the system for this kind of thing on boot, and modifies the
> status file.

And when the test fails, because the kernel was upgraded, you promptly
have unmet dependencies and a broken package.

The package should detect /proc at run time and refuse to start if it
is not available; it should not require /proc to install. If there are
things which could be run in postinst _if_ /proc is available, it
should be possible to run them by hand after installation (postinst
should run them if it can, and scream if it can't. I can't see any
good reason for depending on anything /proc provides.

Of course, a system without /proc is pretty broken anyway. netbase
doesn't depend on ipv4, but will probably break horribly if you don't
have networking support in your kernel, along with most network daemon
packages.

 : :' :                         | Dept. of Computing,
 `. `'                          | Imperial College,
   `-    http://www.debian.org/ | London, UK