Re: out of date packages (testing/update_excuses)

Hi Sam,

On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Sam Johnston wrote:

> What is this telling me?

> rdesktop 1.0.0+19.6.6-2.1 (new) (optional) (non-US) (low)
> Maintainer: Sam Johnston <samj@debian.org>
> rdesktop uploaded 28 days ago, out of date by 18 days!
> out of date on i386: rdesktop (from 1.0.0+19.6.6-2)
> not considered

> There was recently an NMU to fix a compilation problem (on hppa i think), I
> suspect this is related, although I'm not sure why/how as my local mirror
> has the latest version:

> http://planetmirror.com/pub/debian-non-US/pool/non-US/main/r/rdesktop/

> (1.0.0+19.6.6-2)

> More specifically, what do I need to do to make it work - I really want this
> package in woody..

What this says is that the version of rdesktop available for i386 doesn't
match up with the most recent version of rdesktop available for other release
architectures.  If a porter does a source NMU and only uploads binaries for
his platform, building the packages for other platforms is left to the
autobuilders.

Needless to say, since most developers use i386 machines for their own package
building, the i386 autobuilder doesn't receive as much attention as most.  In
fact, last I heard, there was no i386 autobuilder for non-US.  You'll probably
want to grab the latest sources, build the package yourself, and upload it.
(As the maintainer, you'll want to grab the NMU diffs anyways...)

Cheers,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer