Re: splitting upstream source (was Re: multiple source files)

Matthew Danish <mdanish@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

> This thread reminded me of a question I've been wondering about:
> What if you have some upstream source that would be better built
> if it was split into two source packages one of which build-depended
> on the other one's binary package?  How should one put the location
> of the upstream tarball in the copyright file?
>
> "This package was obtained by copying such-and-such directories
>  and files out of so-and-so's upstream source available <here>"
>
> Or similar.

Suggestion: put in the text of README.Debian a sequence of commands
that will fetch the original tarballs, unpack things, move files
around, and build the .orig.tar.gz or the directory
packagename-version/ or packagename-version.orig/ that
dpkg-buildpackage will use to make the .orig.tar.gz.

If you do that then other people will be able to help you when new
versions of the original package come out.

Cheers,
  Eduardo Ochs
  http://angg.twu.net/
  edrx@inx.com.br