Shared libraries and sections

Two quick questions for anyone who has the time:

1. I have a package that by default installs a library libname.so (as opposed
to a versioned name like libname.so.1). I assume this is bad because it means
two major versions cannot reside on the same system. Does this need to be
fixed? There doesn't seem to be any explicit policy on this.

2. Is "science" the correct section for a network simulator? It's computer
science I suppose and "net" is certainly inappropriate.