Re: Creation of tmp directory with buildpackage

* Will Newton (will@misconception.org.uk) wrote:
> On Saturday 28 July 2001 2:33 am, Ben Collins wrote:
>
> > Why not make the change in debian/rules rather than in the package's
> > Makefile?
> >

> > 	install -d debian/tmp
> > 	$(MAKE) install DESTDIR=$(PWD)/debian/tmp
> >
> > Should do the trick.
>
> This way I have to manually create all dirs under debian/tmp (usr, usr/bin.
> usr/lib etc.). That seems like the very thing the dh_installdirs helper is
> meant to do, but it only creates the debian/<package-name> dirs. Is the guide
> wrong? Should I be doing this some other way?

>From what I can gather from the debhelper manpage, debian/tmp is
depricated (only used if DH_COMPAT is set to 1). I just install
everything straight to debian/<package>, since that's where it ends up
anyway.

If your source package creates more than one binary package and the
upstream Makefile installs everything at once, then debian/tmp and
dh_movefiles are useful. But otherwise debian/<package> is easiest.

Joshua

--
Joshua Haberman  <joshua@haberman.com>