Re: About NM, email and spam

On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 11:08:50PM +1000, Sam Couter wrote:
> I don't think the warning that macros could be virii actually achieves
> anything. Users just hit the "Yeah, whatever" button and get infected
> anyway. Hitting those buttons becomes a reflex with no thought at all.

Well, at least they tried. Personally I do stop and think about it when
opening Word and Excel documents that warn me about macros. Usually I
disable them, and if I find that the document actually does have some
useful macros, reopen it.

> I think the proper solution is to quit blurring the line between word
> processor and development environment / scripting host. Or at a minimum,
> running the macros in a secure sandbox so the damage they can do is
> minimised.

Actually, I think it's useful to have some macro capability in Excel in
particular. But it should be in some sort of protective environment which
means it can't do much damage.

Hamish