Re: upstream library without a SONAME

On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 03:18:56PM -0400, sharkey@superk.physics.sunysb.edu wrote:
> > > Yes, but "SONAME" just means the name of the .so file.
> >
> > OK, now I'm truly confused.
> >
> > I thought a "SONAME" was something embedded into the shared object
> > file.  As I understand things, the SONAME is completely independent of
> > the file name, at least in principle.
>
> It's not quite that simple.
>
> There's a good description of things included in the libtool documentation.
> Install libtool-doc and read the texinfo section on versioning.

That is a nice, rational versioning scheme, I agree.

I don't see how it fits in this discussion, though.  For one thing,
I'm not using libtool.  More importantly, all libtool does is manage
the choice of SONAME for you.  At the end of the day, there is still a
single SONAME embedded in your shared library.

So I guess I'm still searching for the answer to my original questions:

1.  Does Debian require a SONAME for a shared lib?
2a. If so, what to do about upstream packages that don't supply one?
2b. If not, what the heck does the discussion on package naming in
    policy section 11.3 mean?

Anyone?

-S

--