Re: upstream library without a SONAME

> > Yes, but "SONAME" just means the name of the .so file.
>
> OK, now I'm truly confused.
>
> I thought a "SONAME" was something embedded into the shared object
> file.  As I understand things, the SONAME is completely independent of
> the file name, at least in principle.

It's not quite that simple.

There's a good description of things included in the libtool documentation.
Install libtool-doc and read the texinfo section on versioning.

> Are you saying that the intention of policy section 11.3 is to say
>
> 	if the library filename is libfoo.x.y.z, then please
> 	name the package libfoox

Yes, but it's more complicated than that if libfoo uses a different naming
convention.

> I don't know what you mean by "extension with an ABI version code".

I mean the CURRENT, REVISION, and AGE triplet described in the libtool docs.

> On the other hand, the source version is 2.1.5-7,

The source version number is irrelevant and is completely decoupled from
the soname CURRENT, REVISION, and AGE numbers.

Eric