Re: Policy question about web application

On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 10:33:20PM +0200, R?mi Perrot wrote:

> I read in the Debian policy that cgi script of web application must
> go in /usr/lib/cgi-bin/cgi-bin-name and should be referred as
> http://localhost/cgi-bin/cgi-bin-name (section 12.5).
>
> It look like that it is not allowed to have subdirectory under /usr/lib/cgi-bin/
> if I have well understanding the policy.
>
> If so this will cause some file name conflict and at least unpredictable one.
> Resolving such conflict is not trivial while all link in the application have
> to be fixed to, and this make real fork from the upstream.
>
> But since there is some application that violate this rule, I'm not
> sure it is a rule.
>
> So is subdirectory is allowed under /usr/lib/cgi-bin/ ? And if no
> do we need to amend the policy or report bug against packages
> that violate the policy ?

Although I don't recall this section of Policy and have no firsthand experience
with this issue, I recall it being mentioned that it is OK and even recommended
to make subdirectories in /usr/lib/cgi-bin/ if you need a number of different
scripts or if they have names that would conflict with other scripts. If Policy
contradicts this, it should (in my opinion) be changed, since I don't think
anyone intends it to do so.

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy@debian.org