Policy question about web application

I read in the Debian policy that cgi script of web application must
go in /usr/lib/cgi-bin/cgi-bin-name and should be referred as
http://localhost/cgi-bin/cgi-bin-name (section 12.5).

It look like that it is not allowed to have subdirectory under /usr/lib/cgi-bin/
if I have well understanding the policy.

If so this will cause some file name conflict and at least unpredictable one.
Resolving such conflict is not trivial while all link in the application have
to be fixed to, and this make real fork from the upstream.

But since there is some application that violate this rule, I'm not
sure it is a rule.

So is subdirectory is allowed under /usr/lib/cgi-bin/ ? And if no
do we need to amend the policy or report bug against packages
that violate the policy ?

Rémi Perrot