Re: undocumented(7)

[ CC:'ed to Nicolás Lichtmaier as maintainer of manpages ]

Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> wrote:

> undocumented(7) is in the manpages package (Priority: important).  It seems
> sensible to allow users to remove this package without breaking anything, and
> if they care enough to remove the manpages package, they probably won't miss
> undocumented(7).

Actually, the reason I ask is because I *did* miss undocumented(7), without
realising it. In fact, a bug almost got filed against an entirely unrelated
package for not having man pages for its binaries, when in reality it had
symlinks to undocumented(7), which didn't exist.

I've decided that I agree with Colin Watson on this one: undocumented(7)
should be in an Essential: yes package, probably base-files. Either that, or
any package with a symlink to undocumented(7) should declare a Depends: on
manpages. Anything else leaves dangling symlinks, which is broken.
--
Sam Couter          |   Internet Engineer   |   http://www.topic.com.au/
sam@topic.com.au    |   tSA Consulting      |