Re: GPG Key Signing

>>"jae" == Jürgen A Erhard <juergen.erhard@gmx.net> writes:

>>>>> "Manoj" == Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> writes:
 Manoj> Email ID's have value. Some one comes up with, say, a
 Manoj> First National Bank ID, and one trusts that ID, perhaps
 Manoj> some informatiopn can be given out since the person works
 Manoj> for the bank anyway. Except the person lied.

 jae> And how do you know that the person *still* controls the ID when you
 jae> send him/her something months after checking?[1]

	Failing to own a crystal ball, I generally refrain from
 making predictions of the future; and people who expect that are,
 umm, not thinking it through. Does that mean that since predictions
 of future can not be made all assertions about the present are null
 and void? I find this also an untenable position to take.

 jae> You see value in email IDs... I don't, not in a keysigning
 jae> context.

	As I said, your mileage may vary. There are different levels
 of paronia, different levels of care taken, and different
 viewpoints.  I presented my protocol, and the rationale. Whether it
 is accepted by the teeming millions is a matter of indifference to
 me.

 jae> PS: I'd rather get rid of the email part of GnuPG... and I'll probably
 jae> ask people to only sign the email-address-less uid on my key (I'
 jae> ids as they like, but don't rely on them).

	And then you lose the value of knowing where to contact the
 key holder, or how to send email to, to an extent (a signed email ID
 at least tells me that the person with that key showed someone a
 convincing ID, and perhaps controlled that email address at the
 point of signing. I think that is an added bit of information that I
 still value.

	This is rapidly getting off topic; please contact me off line
 to continue this conversation.

	manoj
--
 A can of ASPARAGUS, 73 pigeons, some LIVE ammo, and a FROZEN
 DAQUIRI!!