Re: Packaging xmlrpc-c

Eric Kidd (eric.kidd@pobox.com) wrote:
> Hello!

Hi!

> I'm the author of xmlrpc-c, a library implementing XML-RPC for C and C++.
> (XML-RPC is a simple RPC protocol typically used for talking to web
> applications.  It works by sending XML messages over HTTP, which is a bit
> of a strange way to do things, but it's nice for talking to Zope and
> similar applications.)  You can find it online at:
>
>   http://xmlrpc-c.sourceforge.net/
>
> I've made some very rough Debian packages:
>
>   http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=16847
>
> Known problems:
>
>   1) The query-meerkat and meerkat-app-list programs are broken, thanks
>      to a server update at <http://meerkat.oreillynet.com/>.  This will be
>      worked around in the next version.
>   2) One of the Perl scripts in xmlrpc-c-dev depends on
>      libfrontier-rpc-perl, but this dependency hasn't been added to the
>      xmlrpc-c-dev package yet.
>   3) Several of the man pages are links to unimplemented(7).  I'll fix
>      this soon.
>   4) I get a lintian warning for calling ldconfig in postrm, even though I
>      only call it from the 'remove' rule, in accordance with policy.  Have
>      I done something wrong?

No, I get this all the time.  Since this call is added by debhelper by default
I don't see a reason to worry.

>   5) xmlrpc-c includes its own copy of expat (under a different soname) for
>      binary compatibility with other Linux versions.  I'd prefer not to
>      change this, because it would make it hard for my users to build
>      binaries that worked on more than one distro.

Well, as maintainer of the expat and libxmltok packages I would really appreciate
it if you could make an effort to use the standalone copy.  Assuming you use the
autoconf approach it should be possible to check for an already installed version
and if not then use your own copy.

I also noticed you use the old version of expat, not 1.95.  Any particular reason?

I also don't understand the issue with users building binaries on other distros.
State simply that you depend on having expat already installed.  The Perl module
XML-Parser does that too.

>   6) I stuck the *.so.* files into xmlrpc-c0, and the *.so files into
>      xmlrpc-c-dev, since they're only used when compiling.  It this the
>      correct procedure for Debian?

Yep.  Looks good. :-)

>   7) The modules are named xmlrpc-c0, xmlrpc-c-dev and xmlrpc-c-apps.
>      Should I use a different naming convention?

You could also use libxmlrpc-c0 and libxmlrpc-c-dev.  That way it's easy
to spot they're libraries.  There might even be a policy about this.

> So those are all the problems I *know* about. ;-)  Are there any others
> which I've missed entirely?

Well, did you read the policy manual?

> Also, how does one go about finding a sponsor?
>
> Cheers,
> Eric

Thanks,
Ardo