Re: one package, many libraries. dependency break!

On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 09:39:58PM +0300, Richard Braakman wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 07:28:47PM +0200, Domenico Andreoli wrote:
> > the problem is dpkg-shlibdeps that figures out the package(s) from which
> > this should depend on. in fact it sees that libpspell-impl depends on
> > libpspell and adds libpspell2 (which is the package that provides it,
> > that is this) to the dependecy list. so i get a package that depends
> > on itself.
>
> Actually dpkg-shlibdeps will use the shlibs file of the installed version
> of libpspell2, not the one you're building.  This is even worse :)

you are correct

> In the past I have solved this problem by invoking dpkg-shlibdeps
> with a LD_LIBRARY_PATH setting that makes it find the libaries in
> the build tree.  This way you get a warning that it couldn't find
> what package provides them, but you don't get a bogus dependency.
> I haven't found a cleaner solution.

is LD_LIBRARY_PATH solution alternative to shlibs files? and if a libspell
is already installing on the building system? wouldn't i need to put a
!libpspell2 in Build-Depends?

-----[ Domenico Andreoli, aka cavok
 --[ http://filibusta.crema.unimi.it/~cavok/gpgkey.asc
   ---[ 3A0F 2F80 F79C 678A 8936  4FEE 0677 9033 A20E BC50