Re: How to handle ´/etc/ld.so.preload library packages?

On Tue, 5 Jun 2001 15:32:25 +0200 (CEST), Simon Richter
<Simon.Richter@phobos.fachschaften.tu-muenchen.de> wrote:
>On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Marc Haber wrote:
>> I have a package with a library that needs to be entered to
>> /etc/ld.so.preload. It is clear that this library needs to go in /lib
>> rather than /usr/lib because there are systems that have /usr on a
>> dedicated partition.
>
>Are you sure that *every* program needs this library preloaded? Could you
>tell us some more about the lib?

The package in question is an internal package for snoopy
(http://www.citi.umich.edu/u/marius/snoopy/), where I am currently
experimenting how to optimize the ld.so.preload entry to give a patch
to the debian maintainer.

But there are other libs (for example libsafe) that need to be loaded
this way. But libsafe has its own package ld.so.preload-manager which
seems to be a good thing to use here.

>> (2)
>> Ask the user if I should add the lib to /etc/ld.so.preload in the
>> postinst and automatically remove the entry in prerm? Does order in
>> /etc/ld.so.preload matter?
>
>I'd go for this solution, however I'd ask in the config script rather
>than in the postinst. :-)

My mistake. You're right.

Greetings
Marc