Re: Adding device file to /dev.

On Monday 04 June 2001 10:34, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 03, 2001 at 02:37:19PM +0200, Russell Coker wrote:
> > Another thing any package that depends on the creation of nodes under
> > /dev MUST depend on "makedev | devfsd".  People who run devfsd do not
> > need to have makedev installed.
>
> Well, makedev is priority: required and section: base. Is it
> necessary for packages to declare an explicit dependency in that
> case?

Currently many (most? all?) packages that need to create device nodes depend
on makedev.  I have been filing bug reports against them because I believe
that they should depend on "makedev|devfs".  I would be happy to have them
depend on neither but the maintainers of some of the packages are quite
adamant that they want to depend on such a package.

As for it being required and base, I want to remove makedev from my systems.
I have no need for it.