Re: Adding device file to /dev.

On Sunday 03 June 2001 11:36, Richard Atterer wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 03, 2001 at 01:01:15PM +0530, Viral wrote:
> > intel-rng-tools requires /dev/intel_rng, which is not installed by
> > makedev. I believe its not a good idea to use mknod in the postinst
> > scripts. How would I go about doing this then ?
> >
> > Currently, its just an instruction in README.Debian.
>
> You should use the /sbin/MAKEDEV script to generate the device. If
> MAKEDEV doesn't support your device, file a bug against the makedev
> package.
>
> AFAIK it's acceptable that you use mknod in your postinst until
> support for the device gets added to MAKEDEV.

Also make the package check for the presence of the character device
/dev/.devfsd first, if that device exists then your script must not attempt
to create the device node and it should be left for the kernel to do it!  If
you create a node under /dev when devfs is running it may result in an
attempt to load the module, also the node will disappear on reboot!

Another thing any package that depends on the creation of nodes under /dev
MUST depend on "makedev | devfsd".  People who run devfsd do not need to have
makedev installed.