OK to use /etc/default for non-init script default data?

Hi,

let's say I have a package foo with a binary foo. The author suggests
the one should have a shell script wrapper to be able to call the foo
binary with the appropriate options. I want to do so in my package.

- Have the foo-Binary in /usr/lib/foo/foo
- Have a foo shell script wrapper in /usr/bin/foo
- /usr/bin/foo sources /etc/default/foo so that the admin can change
  the default values without interfering with the wrapper itself.

This is the way to do it for an init script. Is it OK to have a file
in  /etc/default that does not provider defaults for an init script
but for an executeable called by users?

Greetings
Marc