Re: Integration of debian/ scripts in packages

On Mon, 04 Jun 2001, Jason Thomas wrote:
> hmmm, I just had the upstream remove the debian specific stuff so I
> could have policy compilant stuff and use the debhelper stuff more.

I also did the same in fetchmail. It gets easier to maintain a package that
has no debian/ directory (which is often extremely outdated) upstream.

> On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 03:14:20AM +0100, Mich?l Alexandre Salim wrote:
> > inform the upstream maintainer as well. Should this
> > not involve the integration of the debian scripts into
> > the program's source as well?

Most of the time, no. Upstream debian/ cruft gets in the way of the updated
debian/ files, especially if you need to delete files there.  Even if
upstream keeps its debian/ up-to-date, it will still cause you trouble if
you have to remove a file, as you'll need to either use dirty tricks, or
wait for a new upstream release to do so.

> > Am currently dabbling with packaging GLib/GTK+ 1.3 and
> > finding the debian scripts in GNOME rather
> > out-of-date, if present at all.

Request their removal upstream, so that they won't get on your way.

  Henrique Holschuh