Re: debconf in preinst and postinst?

Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> Now this is confusing like accounting, everything is inversed. I use INPUT
> to OUPUT a note, ok. And I use GET to set a variable to the return value.
> Once I stop trying to interprete the meaning of the commands, it actually
> makes sense, like accounting...

We decided to use INPUT to, quite naturally, ask the user for input. It
was only later overloaded to include displaying a note to the user.

GET gets a value from the database. The only sane place to put that
value in the current shell library is in a shell variable. (I would have
prefered to have the db_get command return the value on stdout, but that
was sadly not possible).

> Yup. Now just one more newbie question, what does the " || true" do?
> It is not setting the default answer (which is probably set in the templates
> files), its OR-ing the return value of db_* with true? Do I need to use this?

The shell library uses shell return codes to report back debconf return
codes. Since not trapping those return codes makes set -e scripts
terminate abruptly, the return code is trapped with the || true (or ||:)
if you decide to ignore it.

> Should I used shared/moon-buggy for this? Or is moon-buggy sufficient?

shared/ is only intended for more widely shared values, really.

--
see shy jo