Re: debconf in preinst and postinst?

Je Sun, 27 May 2001 23:59:48 -0400,
"Christian T. Steigies" <cts@debian.org> scribis:
> Also I am confused by this section in the tutorial:
>
> The Config Script
> [...]
>  Do not make your postinst use debconf to ask questions.
>  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> But then it says:
> [...]
>  #!/bin/sh -e
>
>  # Source debconf library.
>  . /usr/share/debconf/confmodule
>  db_get foo/like_debian
>  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> So it is asking a question in the postinst? I don't want to ask a question
> in the postinst (I ask it in the preinst), in postinst I just want to
> display a message when an old score file is present and is removed. How do I
> do that?

No, db_get only queries the database, it doesn't generate any output
(that's what db_input is for).

If you need issue the sysadmin a warning, which I think is your case,
do it in the config script with a db_input.

As to displaying a message in the postinst, and this is something I've
been wondering about for a while, it looks like you should either do a
db_stop first or send any messages to stderr.  Using db_input in the
postinst is, IMO, *not* the right thing to do (since it requires the
intervention of the sysadmin).  But, can anyone confirm this?

-itai