Re: using conditionals in autoconf/automake

Gustavo Noronha Silva wrote:

> I need help with stuff regarding a configure.in and a Makefile.am, I'm
> stucked trying to find a way to make the 'make install' command
> conditionally install some files.
>
> I want it to test if GNOME is available (it is being done in configure),
> if it is, make install will install aditional pics and applet configuration
> files... if not, it won't install, how do I do it?

Why don't you just build-depend on the GNOME stuff so that every
architecture will have a similar package?

That said, try AC_CHECK_PROG in configure.in to set a variable,
and then use that in the Makefile:

>From autoconf docs:

 - Macro: AC_CHECK_PROG (VARIABLE, PROG-TO-CHECK-FOR, VALUE-IF-FOUND [,
          VALUE-IF-NOT-FOUND [, PATH, [ REJECT ]]])
     Check whether program PROG-TO-CHECK-FOR exists in `PATH'.  If it
     is found, set VARIABLE to VALUE-IF-FOUND, otherwise to
     VALUE-IF-NOT-FOUND, if given.  Always pass over REJECT (an
     absolute file name) even if it is the first found in the search
     path; in that case, set VARIABLE using the absolute file name of
     the PROG-TO-CHECK-FOR found that is not REJECT.  If VARIABLE was
     already set, do nothing.  Calls `AC_SUBST' for VARIABLE.

Peter