Re: Does debhelper handle build-indep ?

Bill Allombert <allomber@math.u-bordeaux.fr> wrote:
>I have a multi-binary package which produce arch-dependant .deb (binaries)
>and arch-independant (documentation).
>
>I would like
>debian/rules binary-indep
>create the arch-independant package
>and
>debian/rules binary-arch
>create the arch dependant package
>
>Does the policy requires this ? (I read it but it was unclear (to me:))

Yes, in section 5.2 (`debian/rules' - the main building script):

  `binary-arch' builds the binary packages which are specific to a
  particular architecture, and `binary-indep' builds those which are
  not.

>My debian/rules file is based on dh_make and look like this:
>
># Build architecture-independent files here.
>binary-indep: build install
># We have nothing to do by default.
>
># Build architecture-dependent files here.
>binary-arch: build install
>        dh_gencontrol
>        dh_md5sums
>        dh_builddeb
>
>binary: binary-indep binary-arch
>
>So everything is done in build-arch.
>
>I look at the doc of debhelper and does not find comment about this.

If you're already using dh_make-generated stuff, try
/usr/share/debhelper/dh_make/debianm/rules for an example. It passes -a
and -i to various debhelper commands to work on architecture-dependent
and -independent binary packages respectively. Aside from that you need
to have the appropriate Architecture: lines in debian/control ('any' for
arch-dependent, 'all' for arch-independent).